City of Orange issued the following announcement on Mar. 19.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a poisonous yet odorless gas produced when carbon based fuels such as coal, oil, gasoline, propane, wood, and natural gas are incompletely burned. A constant supply of fresh air is essential for the complete combustion of any fuel. If there is not enough oxygen, CO is produced. CO then seeks oxygen in the lungs, depriving the cells in your body of needed oxygen. The early stages of CO poisoning include: dizziness, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, and a throbbing headache.
You would be wise to suspect CO poisoning if you fell ill or if all the members of your family feel ill at the same time.
Any fuel burning furnace, water heater, fireplace, stove, or space heater can produce CO, especially if any of these situations exist: leaking or blocked flues and chimneys, plugged dryer vents, prolonged downdraft in a chimney or vent stack, dirty gas stove burners, cracked heat exchanger chamber, poor house ventilation, and loose vents on furnaces, water heaters, and boilers.
Never use gas ovens and ranges for heat, or operate camp stoves, propane grills, or charcoal grills inside. Have your furnace, other gas appliances, and your chimney inspected. Purchase CO detectors for your home and make sure your CO detectors meet Underwriters Laboratories (UL) standards. Place the CO detectors near your furnace and sleeping areas.
If you suspect CO poisoning, or if you have a CO detector and the alarm sounds, leave your home immediately. If you or a family member is ill, obtain medical attention. Call Orange City Utilities at 712-707-5000 from another location, or during business hours, call your heating dealer so they can make any necessary repairs. Never stay in a building where you suspect leaking CO.
Original source can be found here.